Friday, June 18, 2010

getting to know you

When you  are pregnant you always think of your children as babies, never teenagers, or grown.  Why is that?  You think of them as little babies or toddlers.... is this because we cannot in our minds imagine that we could have people near our age.  As mothers we know our children's likes and dislikes.  From everything to favorite food to favorite color to favorite stuffed animal.  As they grow we stay close to them, but sometimes forget that as we grow our tastes and likes and dislikes change.  I know mine do.  So why not theirs?

The other day I was making a sandwich for my baby Harold (who is no longer even a child he is full fledged teenager). I asked him he wanted ham or chicken (I already knew he wanted cheese after all I have been making his sandwich the same way everyday for 12 years).  He relied "Ham please and some mayo too".  I stopped, crinkled my brow and said in a matter of fact tone " You hate anything on your sandwich.  It has always been meat- cheese and bread only".  To which he replied "I know mommy ,but I like mayo now".  How did this happen and I not notice?  When did this little boy grow up?    

This made begin to think that what I thought I knew about my "babies" is not really what I know of them as teenagers. and adults.  In my mind they are still little, they are still my babies, my toddlers..... my children.
I thought how well do I know their likes and dislikes today as I did long ago.  How did my data base neglect to get updated.  Has their favorite dessert changed I wondered?  Have their favorite colors changed?  I was no longer sure. 
So I decided to set out to reacquaint my self with my children.  Get to know the "little" things about them.  I know all the other things about them, but their little things are changing.  After all it is the little things that make us who we are.
     So this is my goal and project for the weekend.  Getting to know all my children again!  How fun!  How lucky!

-Love bye

No comments: